When we leave our homes for work in the morning, we just assume that everything will be in the same order when we return. More frequently than you might think, that is not the case! An unattended home is vulnerable to a leak from a water heater tank, water filtration system, ice maker, washing machine hose or bathroom fixture – turning into a full-blown disaster as water flows unabated in your home for hours or even days! RDT offers a complete line of Leak Detection and Alarm/Shut-Off systems to provide dependable flood control and peace of mind.
Hot water heaters are indispensable systems in a home, just as refrigerators or stoves are. However, over time they wear down and show some signs of malfunction. These symptoms will grow from bad to worse over time, until a total failure occurs. What are the external symptoms that your water heater is failing? How will you know when it needs replacement? Many experts say that there is no sure way to know precisely when a water heater needs replacement. It’s probably also the only appliance you bring into your home that you EXPECT to spring a leak at some point in its life!
Here are just a few statistics found on the Insurance Institute for Business and Home Safety website:
- Water heater failures are one of the top FIVE sources of residential water losses.
- 69% of all water heater failures result from a slow leak or a sudden burst.
- Water heater failures cost an average of $4,444 per incident AFTER the deductible was paid.
- Supply line failure was the cause in only 10% of claims, but these claims typically were 60% higher than those caused by leaking or bursting.
- Failures of water heaters located on the first floor resulted in 33% greater losses than those resulting from water heaters in basements.
- Approximately 9% of all water heater failures occurred in unoccupied homes and resulted in 49% higher claims.
When you factor in all of the other water-fed appliances in your home – washing machines, water filtration systems, aquariums, multiple toilets, sinks, bathtubs – why, it’s enough to keep you up at night! These problems and worries are only compounded when you consider “snow-bird migration” between homes and vacation properties, which can go unoccupied for weeks or months at a time.
Protect your property from unnecessary water damage by installing an RDT Leak Detection and Alarm Shut-Off System. We have a complete line of automatic water shutoff systems to meet your application requirement and budget!